Rhodanthe chlorocephala – a scientific name for one of Western Australia’s most recognisable wildflowers, the pink and white Everlasting.
As a Hotspot Hero, you would’ve received a pack of seeds in your Initiation Pack. This is so you can kick-start your biodiversity journey in your own backyard. Now that Autumn is here and we’ve had our first lot of rain, it’s a great time to hit the garden and get planting.
Your Planting Checklist
When preparing your planting site, you will want to follow these instructions:
- Choose a sunny area with well-drained soil.
- Create a small hole no more than 5mm deep.
- Drop the seed into the hole and lightly press the soil by rolling or lightly trampling.
- Throughout Winter, do your own weed control to give your seeds the best chance of germinating.
- Everlastings also quite like some fertiliser and like regular watering.
- Once established, Everlastings are tolerant of a wide range of conditions, including frost.
- Your pack of seeds will cover approximately 5m2.
Your seeds will germinate between 7 and 21 days. The best bit is that they have almost a 100% germination rate.
Show Us Your Blooms!
When your seeds start to bloom in Spring, we’d love to see some photos. We’ll remind you again in a few months but make sure you get your cameras ready.