Living environmentally sustainable lives at home, at work and in our communities is more important than ever. Changing rainfall patterns/climate and increasing energy costs in the Wheatbelt are having more impact on our everyday lives, farming practices and cost of living. We need to become more efficient in our use of resources and make savings where we can.
This project helps the Wheatbelt community make changes to lead more sustainable lifestyles and decrease costs. It encourages using water, energy and waste resources in innovative and efficient ways to benefit households, businesses and communities. We support the community to trial, demonstrate and take part in community projects and sustainable living practices.
This project will help us meet the following strategic priorities from the Regional NRM Strategy for the Avon River Basin:
- The Region leads in the production of renewable energy
- Maximise water harvesting, re-use and recycling
- Encourage household implementation of sustainable living practices
To learn how to make your home, business or community more sustainable, contact the Productive Relationships Team on 08 9670 3100.
- Encourage the principles of reduce - reuse - recycle
- Run community events showing sustainable living and business practices, including the Sustainable Wheatbelt forum
- Provide a community grant to encourage environmentally sound household and community living in the Wheatbelt
- Develop educational materials on sustainable living
- Prepare an annual report on Wheatbelt NRM’s water, power and fuel use
Program Manager - Productive Relationships
Telephone: 08 9670 3107