Salinity Management: Valley Floor Management
Investment: $604 000
Delivery organisations: Saltland Pastures Association
- 253 land managers established 2.2 million saltbush seedlings and 520 ha of salt tolerant inter-row understorey over 3,100 ha valley floors of the low rainfall zone (<450mm).
- Twelve trial sites designed and established
- 4 monitoring sites established measuring depth to groundwater, biomass production and stocking rates
Community engagement and capacity building
- 11 officers trained as Saltland Pasture Grower Support Network Advisors to support land managers
- Pamphlet developed outlining outcomes of trial sites
- 3 field days to increase land manager understanding of groundwater management options and productive saltland pastures
Did you know?
- From a survey of farmers who participated in the saltland pasture incentive scheme in 2006-07, 80% would not have grown saltland pastures, or grown them to a lesser extent without the incentive scheme and 97% said the scheme increased their confidence to grow saltland pastures in the future.