Baselining, inventory & information management
Investment: $2 300 863
Delivery organisation: Department of Environment and Conservation
Community engagement and capacity building
- Liaison with 61 landholders regarding the benefits of fencing their remnant
- Biodiversity inventory distributed among key stakeholders including other biodiversity projects
- Stakeholder workshop held to inform on vegetation mapping project
- Reports provided to landholders of properties assessed as part of the trialing wetlands methodology
- 185 000 ha (8.3%) of remnant vegetation in the region has been collated and digitised through GIS
- Over 16 000 wetlands identified across the region via mapping of every slope, flat, channel, basin, reservoir and granite outcrop visible from aerial photography
- Richardson, J., Gamblin, T., Glossop, B. and Hogben, J. (2007) A Biodiversity Assessment of the Avon NRM Region. DEC Perth. 178 pages
- Richardson, J. (2007). Ecosystem Prioritisation Workshop Report: Identifying High Priority Ecosystems in the Avon NRM Region. Department of Environment and Conservation, Kensington, WA. 15 p.
- Richardson, J. (2007) Defining Ecological Communities and Ecosystems for the Avon Natural Resource Management Region: A Discussion Paper. Avon Catchment Council, Northam, Western Australia.
- Richardson, J. (2007) Baselining's 07/08 Program: Discussion of gaps & proposed work. Report to Wheatbelt NRM
- Richardson, J., Bayliss, B., Glossop, B. and Gamblin, T. (2008). The Vegetation Mapping of the ANRMR Project: Progress, Status and Future Directions. DEC, Perth Western Australia
- Jones S.M., Pinder A.M., Sim L.L., Halse S.A. (2008) Evaluating the conservation significance of basin and granite outcrop wetlands within the Avon Natural Resource Management region: Stage One Assessment Method. Department of Environment and Conservation (DEC), Perth.
- Jones S.M., Pinder A.M., Sim L.L., Halse S.A. (2009) Evaluating the conservation significance of basin wetlands within the Avon NRM region: Stage 3 Assessment Method. DEC, Perth.
- Jones S.M., Collins M.T., Francis C.J., Halliday D.L. (2009) Stage 3 evaluation of 28 wetlands in the Avon Natural Resource Management region, spring 2008. DEC, Perth.
- Jones S.M., Francis C.J., Halliday D.L., Leung A.E. (2009) The potential effects of groundwater disposal on the biota of wetlands in the Wheatbelt, Western Australia. DEC, Perth.
- Jones S.M., Francis C.J., Leung A.E. (2009) Aquatic invertebrates and waterbirds of wetlands in the Avon region. DEC, Perth.
- Jones S.M. and Pinder A.M. (2009) Old salt versus new salt: biodiversity patterning of halophilic species in a region threatened by salinisation in Western Australia. Poster presented at the Australian Society of Limnologists congress, September 2009.
Did you know?
- Of the110 000 patches of vegetation in the agricultural area of the Avon NRM region nearly 70 000 are less than one hectare in size and only about 1000 are more than 100 hectares. Such fragmentation is a severe threat to biodiversity in the region.